Class Teacher: Mrs Cunningham
Teaching Assistant: Mrs Manning (Shared with Class 5)
It was Pentecost Sunday on the 31st May so I’ve prepared some activities around this very special day in the Church calendar.
- Pentecost reading comprehension (answers at the back)
- Pentecost word scramble
Part of our learning in Year 4 is to learn about different suffixes (endings added to the stem of words which change them into nouns, adjectives or verbs).
- This week we will look at the suffix -ous.
- First look at this video:
- Then complete these activities:
- Circle the correct suffix – ous suffix excpetion-wordsearch 01.06.20
- Suffix mind map – mind-map adding ous suffix 01.06.20
- Suffix exception words wordsearch – circle-the-correct-one oussuffix 01.06.20
I’d like you to go through the videos and activities on BBC Bitesize to revise equivalent fractions:
Also here’s a couple of worksheets to make sure you’ve got it:
- Equivalent fractions Worksheet 1 (easier) – equivalent fractions sheet 1
- Equivalent fractions Worksheet 2 (challenge) – equivalent fractions challenge 01.06.20
Times tables – I’ve attached a times tables worksheet that will help you to see which times tables you still have to learn.
Take a look at this PowerPoint presentation, think about the questions at the end and then complete this activity:
- Mark RE love your neighbour 01.06.20
- Describe the ways in which God’s law of love can be broken – thinking, saying or doing anything that spoils or breaks friendship with God or with other people.
- It is also choosing not to do something which again results in breaking friendship with God and other people. Write a short story/account to illustrate one of these occasions and how a bridge might be rebuilt.
- Pentecost reading comprehension 01.06.20
- Pentecost scrambled words activity 01.06.20
25th May 2020
This week I’ve continued from last week’s video on Perimeter and made a short video on Area.
- Watch the video then have a go at the activity and three worksheets. https://youtu.be/Sf5IpXydCG0
- Work out the area of your favourite book
- Using squared paper ( attached), draw around your book.
- Count the squares inside the drawing to work out the area of your book.
- What else can you find the area of?
- Look for rectangles and squares in your home and draw around them!
- Counting-Squares 2nd worksheet – medium
- Comparing area 25.05.20
- Area by counting squares 25.05.20
- Area counting squares answers 25.05.20
- 1cm squared paper for practical activity 25.05
- Times-Tables-Test 25.05.20 with some challenge
- Times and division challenge 25.05
As many of us having been planting over Lockdown, our reading comprehension is on Seeds and Weeds.
Using similes and metaphors. Go to
- https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/articles/zk68wty to watch the videos and then have a go at the suggested activities. You will need some scrap paper and a pencil pen.
- Seeds and weeds comprehension 25.05
- Have a go at this revision worksheet – Possessive apostrophes 25.05
Read this story called A friend I Once Had then answer the questions. Next:
- Make a list of friends you have had for a long time. For each friend, record:
- How did you meet your friend?
- What made you become friends?
- What do you do together?
- What do you like about your friend?
- Is there anything you don’t like about your friend?
- Is there anything your friend doesn’t like about you?
- In what ways have you helped to change one another?
- Collate and classify your findings under headings:
- ‘Why we made friends’ and ‘Why we stayed friends’.
- You could put all your work into a presentation and share to firstname.lastname@example.org
- A friend I once had RE 25.05
Simple ICT Safety 15 minute activities to do with your child
Click on the links below for each activity pack. Every link contains two 15-minute activities to do with a child:
- Home activity pack 1
- Home activity pack 2
- Home activity pack 3
- Home activity pack 4
- Home activity pack 5
18th May 2020
This week I have made a short video explaining perimeter.
- Please watch the video and then have a go at the activity and worksheet. (answer sheet also attached) – https://youtu.be/Drd9xwZDJmM
- Cut out 12 equal-sized squares of paper or use 12 square sticky-notes.
- Put them into one long rectangle?
- What is the perimeter of this rectangle?
- Rearrange them to make different rectangles – do they all have the same perimeter?
- How many different perimeters can you make by rearranging these squares?
- Perimeter of rectilinear shapes WORKSHEET 18.05
- Perimeter of shapes ANSWERS 18.05
6 times tables
- Watch this video and then complete the activity sheet either by printing it or on paper.
- Times tables test – more challenging Times-Tables-Test 18.05
- 6-Times-Table-Activity-Sheet 18.05
As we are seeing a lot more of our native birds in our gardens and parks this week the comprehension is on Garden Birds:
- Spellings – go onto the Spelling Frame website – http://www.spellingframe.co.uk and click on Year 3/4 to brush up on your spellings.
- Reading – As I mentioned previously the Audible website has loads of free audio books for children for free.
- You can also email email@example.com and get your childs login details for the Scholastic website with lots of free books for them to read.
- Many famous authors are reading their books online for free, for example David Walliams: https://www.worldofdavidwalliams.com/elevenses/
- Garden Birds comprehension 18.05
This Thursday is Ascension Day when we remember Jesus ascending into heaven.
It is a Holy Day of Obligation for Catholics so you can watch Mass being celebrated live from St Saviours Church on:
Mrs Brown has sent a short Science assessment for you to complete.
Also check out this website with some jokes you might enjoy and ideas for home experiments:
Museum virtual tours
- Check out panda cam at Edinburgh Zoo: https://www.edinburghzoo.org.uk/webcams/panda-cam/
- I hope your still exercising – I’m keeping up with PE with Joe Wicks!
- If that’s not your thing then Cosmic Kids yoga on YouTube is great: https://www.youtube.com/user/CosmicKidsYoga
11th May 2020
Well done to Daniel for his excellent VE Day learning last week and to Lillian for her home learning over Easter. Keep sending in your photos to firstname.lastname@example.org
My video this week is on Frottage, an art technique.
- Watch the video first and then have a go at the technique.
- Remember to send your artwork in to the Home Learning Gallery.
As I mentioned in my video, here’s a link to another video which shows you the technique and gives you some more ideas of what you could do:
A revision lesson on these.
- Go to BBC Bitesize, watch the video and then complete the activities: https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/articles/zv4j7nb
- A poetry comprehension this week – Poetry comprehension 11.05.20
Spring is well and truly here with all the leaves out on the trees and flowers in bloom.
- Write an acrostic poem about Spring.
- Try using adjectives, alliterations, similes and metaphors.
- Here’s an example:
S pring is here, bursting with new life
P erfect petals on beautiful flowers
R ain may fall to add to the gorgeous green of nature
I love to splash in puddles
N ew animals are born
G rey skies give way to blue like the Mediterranean sea.
- Times table test – Times-Tables-Test11.05
- Matching numbers work – Maths number work 11.05
- Adding and subtracting fractions worksheet – Adding and subtracting fractions 11.05
- Adding and subtracting word problems.
- Go to BBC Bitesize and watch the presentation then complete the activities: https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/articles/zf3r47h
5th May 2020
ICT Safety Homework Pack
4th May 2020
Firstly, I was really happy to see some work on the Home Learning Gallery from Class 4!
Well done to Elizabeth for her super Easter learning and Daniel for his fantastic St George fact file.
Keep them coming in!
I’ve put together another short video to explain expanded noun phrases. Check it out by clicking on the link then complete the worksheets.
This year is unusual (for another reason!) in that May Day Bank Holiday is this Friday and not Monday because of VE Day anniversary.
Complete the VE Day comprehension to find out more about it –
Revise adding and subtracting fractions – there’s a worksheet on each –
Make sure you keep up with your times tables.
If you don’t know them already, this week learn your 7 times tables by watching this:
- Challenge your times tables knowledge by filling in the multiplication wheel worksheet.
Multiply and 2 digit number by a 1 digit number.
Go to BBC Bitesize, watch the videos to remind yourself of what to do and then complete the activities:
We would be learning about Morse Code as a way of communicating if we were at school but this also fits in very well with VE Day celebrations this week.
Try and work out the code using the alphabets at the back –
This week read about St Peter and St John as they start to spread the Good News about Jesus in the PPT presentation and then prepare a set of questions for Peter and John to find out why they did what they did. Use these to interview Peter and John through an interview scenario.
You could write out the questions and answers like we’ve done quite a few times in class.
Have a go at making this Spitfire paper glider –
27th April 2020
I have put together a short video to explain multiplying and dividing by 10 and 100. This is revision as we have covered this subject in class. So watch the video and then complete the Multiplying and Dividing by 10 and 100 worksheet.
I would like you to look again and rounding numbers. Visit the BBC Bitesize website and watch the videos and then complete the activities:
I’d like you to refresh your learning on the 11 and 12 times tables. Watch the videos and then practice writing them out, see how many you can get right:
11 times table:
12 times table:
There’s also a times tables challenge for you to complete.
As Ramadan started on Friday, I’ve included a Ramadan reading comprehension. There’s also a Powerpoint explaining prepositions (I know it says Year 3 but this is revision) and then a worksheet to complete.
Then I’d like you to look again at Determiners. Go through the Determiners PPT and then complete the Determiners test.
I’d like you to read the two presentations, Peter’s message and Pentecost. Then look carefully at the painting of the Pentecost by Titian. Describe what is happening in the painting, the colour, the symbols etc. and how this links to the scripture.
- Pentecost PPT Peter’s message 27.04.20
- Prepositional Phrases worksheet 27.04.20
- Ramadan comprehension 27.04.20
- MULTIPLY-AND-DIVIDE-BY-10 and 100 27.04.20
- Times tables challenge 27.04.20
- Determiners PPT
- Determiners-Test 27.04.20
20th April 2020
Message from Miss Cunningham
I would like you to focus on your 6 and 9 times tables this week. Watch these videos and then compete the worksheets. If you don’t have a printer you can copy the work off the screen.
There are also addition and subtraction sheets using the column method. The answers are included for you to check afterwards.
Then some revision on grid multiplication.
Please complete the comprehension on St George who’s feast day is the 23rd April.
In addition please do some independent research on England’s patron saint and make a fact file or poster to show all you have learnt. Please include drawings and Did you know top facts! Ask your adult to take a photo and send to:
Watch this short video to refresh your memory on inverted commas and then complete the Comic book speech worksheet:
We would be starting to learn about robots and communications this half term and so to start off this topic I would like to ask you to do a DT project. Have a look on the internet to get some ideas and then have a go and using up some of your recycling and making a junk robot. You could use a cereal box for the body and a tissue box for its head perhaps. What about kitchen roll tubes for the arms?
There’s loads of ideas on pinterest.
If you can read The Iron Man by Ted Hughes. If you can’t get a copy there are some free downloads or you can hear it read to you for free (30 day free trial) on Audible:
- Comic Strip Speech
- Grid multiplication 20.04
- St Georges day comprehension 20.04.20
- tables shade x6 tables shadex9
ICT Safety Work
6th April 2020
Easter Holiday Home Learning
It’s now the start of the two weeks Easter holidays but here are some lessons and activities to keep your mind ticking over. If you need to finish any of last weeks’ activities or want to continue with your paper pack then that’s great too. Please remember to email through any work that you are proud of to: email@example.com
There is some English and Maths and also:
We are now in the most important part of the Church calendar. With parental permission, please take a look at the YouTube channel our wonderful Priests have set up, where you can set “live” Masses: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttUCYWMoNehfG_PxW1r5Bw?app=desktop
You can also click through from the Church’s website.
- Book review template 06.04.20
- Easter coordinates 06.04.20
- Easter joke code breaker 06.04.20
- Times-Tables-TestEaster hols
2nd April 2020
Class 4 Work 30.3.20
In addition to your printed home learning packs, here are some extra resources that you might like to do with your child at home this week. There are English and Maths resources plus an Easter craft activity. Then RE, topic and PE ideas.
Think of when Jesus entered Jerusalem on a donkey. If you can, read Holy Gospel according to Matthew, 21:1-11. If possible watch clips on BBC Bitesize:
Draw a picture or a storyboard to represent what happened. What would Jesus say to the people of Jerusalem?
Challenge: Draw your own palm tree leaf (template attached) and write what sort of welcome would you organise, if Jesus were to enter Lewisham today. Take a photo and get your adult to email it to the school and we will upload it to the school website.
TOPIC – Stormy Weather:
Create a daily weather diary. You could split this into 2 sections, one for Lewisham/ London and one for Topeka, Kansas, USA which is one of the cities in Tornado alley which we were learning about. Are there similarities and differences? Get your adult to take a picture of your diary (it could be a little book like we made for World Book Day or a chart) and we will upload it to the school website!
I have been trying the Joe Wicks workout for kids on YouTube – it’s only about 30 minutes and daily Monday-Friday. It’s great.
PE with Joe : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGKGNzNbWjU
- Easter basket craft activity
- Easter reading comprehension 30.03.20
- Times tables 30.03.20 Challenge-Count-in-1000-Tuesday-1
- Determiners activity sheets 30.03.20